Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Internship Journal #1

I have had a great experience these past few days. A lot of what I am doing is what I expected but I never thought I would feel the things I do. The first day was the most nerve racking. I was so scared although I am not sure why. I was introduced as Miss. Reynolds and did a few odd end things like running to get things or taking role. I sometimes find it a little frustrating that I do jobs that maybe a teachers aid would do. When I feel that way, I step back and realize that that is part of the process and I need to accept it. I have made a very good connection with the first teacher, Ruth, but it has been much harder to feel that same way with Sari. I find that Ruth is egger to show me something or tell me how she does things. However I have to push my self with Sari. She is much more passive and I have to ask all the questions and ask for things to do. Because it is a studio class there is a lot of work time, so I have to fill up my time with something. I do think it is still fun. I have learned a lot from both teachers, even if I am asking all the questions. I hope that I will be able to be good at the things I am taking over. I also hope that the students will get more comfortable with me being there. I am sure that they are still not quite used to it.

My work place is quite messy because they are both art studio class rooms. That does make it hard for me to know how to dress. There is a lot of work time which I like and don’t like at the same time. It is nice to be able to walk around the class room and talk to the kids, answer any questions, or just observe them. Also, work time is a great time to talk to the teacher about any questions I have for them. I take notes and while they are teaching a lesson I may jot something down and ask them about it when they are done. It is hard for me to get comfortable in my work place simply because it is my school and these are students my age. I really enjoy being in that situation, however weird that may seem. I like the challenge of getting out of my comfort zone. I am so used to working with little kids because of all my little brothers and sisters; I need the experience of working with teens.

No comments:

Post a Comment