Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Crank by Ellen Hopkins


This is one of my favorite books of all time. It is called Crank by Ellen Hopkins. This is the first book of a series of books similar to this one. Although there is only one other book continues that the story in this particular book, the rest are just as intriguing. The book is 537 pages long. I know that sounds like a lot, but they go by fast. I finished the book a day or so after getting it. Each page is set up in a different format. It is not just reading left to right and down the page. She has written it like it is a poem. In sections. It doesn't rhyme, but it sometimes has hidden messages. Enough about how it is written. That is not the main reason of why I love it. I mostly love it for the way she writes. She is not afraid to be real, or raw. You can feel the emotion steaming off the page. Also, it is very easy to find a way to connect to the characters. But maybe that is just me. Crank is about a young teen girl who has a run-in with "the monster" and jumps on the highway straight to hell. Now I know your wondering how in the world I could relate to that. Its really simple, some of the thoughts she has I can understand. And some of her reasoning behind some actions I can agree with. This book was very very well written. Although it does get a little graphic, I would defiantly recommend it to be read. After reading this, you will never want to look in the same direction as drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment