Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Internship Journal #2

These past two weeks have been very different than the first few days I was there. However, it is still rather hard. I think that because I am the same age and go to the same school, it is hard for the students to accept me as their teacher for that period. On Wednesday I had to take over the class because there was a sub. The students did not really seem too comfortable with that. I am still trying to figure out how to get to that point. Maybe it will just come in time, or maybe there is something that I need to be doing differently. I am not quite sure. Students aside, I am really enjoying my time there. I have been learning so much and am always so excited to go the next day. There is always something for me to be doing. I love being in this atmosphere and being apart of something that helps me so much. I feel like I have been able to make a much better connection with both the teachers. Comfort with them is defiantly coming faster then comfort with the students is. It sometimes gets tricky because I may feel like I know something, but I have to come up with questions anyways. I am always amazed to find that even though I thought I knew, I will always learn something. But I have had to really push my self to get there.

In both periods there have been some students that have been talking when they are not supposed to be, or when I am talking. I would much rather let them talk, and have them think I am the “cool” teacher. However, I know that I need to enforce the rules the same way the regular teacher would. Every time I have had to ask a student to stop talking or get them back on task it puts me out of my comfort zone. Hopefully that feeling will pass in time, and it will come easy to me. When I see my teachers do it, it looks so easy. I know now that it’s not that way. I really have to assert my self and not let them walk all over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment